Monday, December 29, 2014

Finally that's something for my 2014!

Hi all,

It has been few months since I updated my blog. I have to say I was lazy to update the blog, as I have been getting tired of my daily full time job, and also my part time effort in Android game programming. But guess what, I finally has my first Android game made from scratch by myself! I has been successfully made a few games by following several different tutorial from website or books. But this time, I swear, this is my first ever game made from scratch by myself.

As a proof, here's my hand drawn draft about the game user interface prior to coding it:

Yes, u guess it right, it is a simple classic Tetris game. It was programmed in Java Eclipse and incorporate a game development framework called Libgdx. Libgdx is a famous game development framework for simple 2D & 3D game, and it has the advantages of cross-platform compatibility. It means that I can test my app in my desktop itself rather than uploading to my device every time i change something on my code, which save me a lot of testing time. Its cross platform functionality support OS like Android, iOS, desktop, and HTML. However, for some God know reason, my game only works on android and desktop platform.

Enough words, picture speak louder than thousand words. Here's some screenshot of my simple Tetris game:
Main Menu Screen
Game Screen
High Score Screen




















As u can see, it is rather simple. I have to admit that I am totally sucks on graphic design (which is common among engineers. Engineer deals with logic rather than artistic stuffs). Also, I made a few changes from the hand drawn draft I designed. The game itself has difficulty increases progressively (brick move down faster) as player proceed. The good thing is, it works well so far from my own testing and several other people testing. 

You can find and download this game from Google play if u have an Android device. I would appreciate it if anyone can give me some feedback on the game, be it good or bad.

Currently this is version 1.0. In future version, I plan to add in social media integration into it, so that player can challenge their friends, and compare their achievement with their friends in social media like Facebook, Twitter etc.

As a conclusion, this is my first step into the exiting world of mobile game programming. Wow, I feel happy for myself for what I have done so far, considering it was almost a dream for me last year if I able to publish an apps in Google Play. I would say that I've achieved what I set as a target for year 2014, which is to publish a self made apps into Google Play.

That's all for now, stay tuned as there are more to come!
Let's end my post with my favorite quote from Samuel Beckett, 
"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better"

No comments:

Post a Comment